BY Khumbulani Maphosa
7 ministers and 103 business, political, civic society and church leaders today turned up for the Habakkuk Trust organised Matabeleland Leadership Summit that was meant to discuss key critical development issues in the region as well as accord the ministers a platform to account to the citizens on what they have been doing for the past years for the region.
Of the ministers who turned up and accounted to the people today were Honorable Minister of Education, Sports, Arts and Culture Senator David Coltart; Minister of Public Works Honorable Joel Gabbuza; Minister of National Healing Honorable Moses Mzila Ndlovu; Minister of Water Resources and Development Honorable Samuel Sipepa Nkomo; Minister of State Enterprises and Parastatals Honorable Gorden Moyo; Honorable Minister of Industry and Commerce Professor Welshman Ncube as well as the Speaker of House of Assembly Honorable Lovemore Moyo.
The meeting that saw key issues being discussed recommended major issues that include:
• Habakkuk Trust facilitate regular ministers meetings so that they can account to the people on key national issues,
• Habakkuk Trust to facilitate space for ministers of government from Matabeleland to meet, dialogue and caucus on key issues affecting the region,
• Need for follow up issues to tackle development issues in the region,
• Legislative advocacy to influence the formulation and implementation of policies that promote development,
• Thorough audit of all industries and identify industries that need recapitalization.
Habakkuk Trust Information Department will next week run a series on the meeting.